1. To bring together the leadership of Nordic and Southern African institutions of higher education and research for dialogue, planning and joint endeavours.
2. To bring together scholars of Nordic and Southern African institutions of higher education and research to jointly address relevant research issues pertaining to the SANORD mission.
3. To ensure that in most SANORD activities at least 30% of the participants from southern institutions are women
4. To promote opportunities for student mobility and staff exchanges in relation to research and educational collaboration
5. To offer relevant resources and information services, including virtual and physical meeting places, and to facilitate and stimulate cooperation with the media
6. To facilitate members’ relationships with relevant academic networks, the donor community, commerce, and industry